[ 2015-03 -27 19:40 ]
[ 2012-12 -19 12:51 ]
[ 2012-12 -07 04:35 ]
[ 2012-10 -11 05:16 ]
[ 2011-05 -06 09:47 ]
[ 2009-10 -01 07:15 ]
[ 2009-06 -04 05:22 ]
[ 2009-04 -29 14:13 ]
[ 2009-04 -24 15:07 ]
[ 2008-09 -08 09:42 ]
[ 2008-09 -07 16:09 ]
[ 2008-08 -21 14:39 ]
[ 2008-07 -21 16:20 ]
[ 2008-02 -04 13:02 ]
カテゴリ：Scale Model( 14 )
You often hear that you learn something new with each kit, for this BTR that was especially so for this one. Never really made a diorama before and I this is the first time weathering a scale model. Not to mention rigging and painting the figures to fit the scene.
I had a lot of fun with the desert look, it was hard to get it started but once I figured out the right technique to do it I just went to town. That goes for the base too, surprised and happy on how painting dirt/sand looks. I added some light track marks too, gave it a bit of life with out adding to much as its dirt not mud so it won't indent as much.
Something that really put the project on hold for so long was me trying to get the firgures to look right. For so long I just could not get them to look natural. I had to cut a few parts and sculpt some stuff just to get to the point where I was happy. Now sure why I wanted to have the guy standing up out of the APC but I thought it would make sense since its the APC is moving slow. The problem was getting his posture to look right and making it make sense with how much real life room the BTR has inside. I made everyhing even worse though my not fitting the guns before I painted them. Huge mistake, most of them I couldn't fit in their hands to look right and I had to make changes and touch up the paint. Huge pain and really made me not want to work on it.
I am aware that technically the scene doesn't make any sense. the 80a model never saw action in Afghanistan as it was released just after the war finished. And would a hand mine detector actual pick up any anti tank stuff? Not sure. Really I don't mind, I made a mistake when ordering ( should of purchased the v70) but I am not really a stickler for historical accuracy. Man if you can make a diorama with ww2 and modern and make it look cool I am ok with it.
That being said I am really happy on how this came out, I think I did a really good job. Now the only problem is, where am I going to store this?!
Laid down clay then put acrylic modeling paste on it. Then I dusted dust that I got from outside on it. Came out really nice, had to spray from tan on it to get the right shade but I like the effect of not being uniform that I got on it. There are a few spots I went back and added a little more dust too since there was some light brush strokes but for my first one of these I am pretty happy.
Painting it european green which is pretty simple but the real challenge will getting the effects just right. Though the joy of this is that if I screw up I just lay on some tan so it looks like it is just.
Found some USSR army decals I am going to use.
I was nervous when I opened the kit, and unfortunately it was a little beat up from the flight from russia. Some parts missing some parts ripped off their spru.
As I was building the kit I then discovered a lot of the parts just flat out didn't fit. Which is really frustrating. Not that I can't fix it, I can and did, but nothing having them fit makes me rethink If the part is on right. But in the end all I can say is the kit is unique and I like that, and the issues are really just the price to pay for having a unique kit.
I also got some afgan-russian war figures which I am going to use for the diorama.
So YES it is not historically accurate since the 80a model was not introduced till after the war was over. but I don't care, I feel it is close enough that only people that know their history will notice and they are usually pissed off about something anyways.
I think the model came out really nice, considering it was 4day and change to complete this.
Also I broke off the antenna while taking pictures, not sure where it is, kinda pissed. But I didn't really like it to begin with, so when I get some better wire in I think I might just make a new one. Luckily for me, the tank also has a version with no antenna so it's all good.
Link to the first video:
Here is the top after a billion coats of gloss.
Then I LIGHTLY sanded it with 2000grit sand paper till the edges of the decals were not very noticeable.
Then I put a polishing compound on.
And rubbed and buffed it off.
while sanding my nail which had grown out scratched the surface, and since the gloss is so thin it ripped into the surface. Well back to do a few more layers of gloss and clipping my nails!
so I started this.
painting the body took me like five coats, and even in the end I don't think the paint got smooth enough, well that just means more gloss!
Then time for decals!
front, I know the Calsonic logo looks weird on the hood, but it is a (stupidly made) 7 piece decal that goes over the grill. and there are three slices that go on each "blade" so at that angle it looks bad but it is not really.
The side, here is more impressive.
Gona finish up the decals tomorrow and get those gloss coats going on there.
and yes it is a coincodince that it sounds like a airplane motor. thats by compressor. i dont have a fancy quiet one.
here you go:
HERE (is a quick time video)